Shugyo is a deep, intense workout of the mind and body.
We don’t hold shugyo very often and it’s definitely a unique training experience. Attending shugyo is optional (until it becomes a requirement for shodan), but eligible students are strongly encouraged to attend.
Who: Students in the adult class who know at least our first three kata.
What: An intense, 4-hour workout on the beach.
When: Saturday, June 27th, 10:00 am – 2:00 pm
Where: Headlands Beach State Park in Mentor. We will meet at the far east end of the parking lot. map & directions
The weather is expected to be sunny with temperatures in the 80s. There is usually some wind. There is a lot of sun, sand, and water. Be aware that at some point, we usually end up in the water and there are a lot of stones in the water along the shore.
Here are some things to consider bringing:
- Plenty of liquid for rehydration
- Snack, if you need one (this is a long workout)
- Sun block
- Wear an old gi
- Footwear for trekking to and from the beach area/restrooms.
- Old sneakers or water shoes.
- If you bring a camera/cellphone, put it in a ziplock bag (sand will get into EVERYTHING)
- Anything else that you feel would be needed for the weather and activity
In general, plan for a hot, sunny and very active day at the beach.